Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Ghastly Spectacle by Lynn Messina


Beatrice Hyde-Clare is trying to figure out how to be a duchess. She is used to being in the shadows as a spinster, not put in front of the ton as the woman who snared a duke and has now solved several murders. She really doesn't think that her friend Lady Abercrombie's tack is the right one, but the woman has already invited a number of people to participate in a murder mystery dinner party so Beatrice feels obliged to attend. Of course, one of the attendees ends up dead (one of the hostess's paramours, in fact) and it is up to Beatrice to solve the crime. And she does, but there is still 40% left in the book.
I really loved seeing Bea's deductive reasoning to figure out who is going to be the faux murderer in the party and I did enjoy getting to see her relationship grow with the duke. The mystery was okay but after the 60% mark, I kept wondering why I was still reading until about the 70% mark. Some nice filler but I wanted the story to just get on with it already.

Four stars
This book came out May 14, 2021
Borrowed as ebook from Kindle Unlimited
Opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment