Wednesday, June 23, 2021

To Sir, with Love by Lauren Layne

I have to admit, I didn't really like the movie You've Got Mail and I was a little squicked by the "To Sir" aspect but I like Lauren Layne a lot and decided to trust the story. I'm glad I did. The romance was probably a three but Gracie's growth and character development were a five. She really grows from following someone else's dreams to figuring out her own. And it's not because she's forced to but because she makes that choice for herself. Sebastian is okay but ends up being the sort of bland Disney prince that Gracie has wanted for her whole life.
Gracie Cooper is running the family business, keeping her father's dream alive. But now she's getting letters from the V. Andrews corporation asking her to give up their rental agreement. But why would she agree to that when she might just start breaking even soon? Besides, it's not like she's got anything going on in her personal life. Except an intriguing guy on this new app that allows for conversation only, no pictures.
Because this book is first-person narration for one character (with some text messages), we really do miss a lot of what is going on in Sebastian's mind. If Gracie hadn't had such growth, I might have minded more but overall my love of character development weighed more in rating this book.

Four stars
This book comes out June 29th, 2021
ARC kindly provided by Gallery Books
Opinions are my own


No comments:

Post a Comment