Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Image linked from Goodreads
This book scared me. There is just so much love for it out there and I often don't like books with just so much love. And then I get scared of people coming after me with pitchforks. I know it's never happened but even metaphorical pitchforks can hurt, people.
But, no, this is a lovely, lovely book about two teens who have faced, and still have to face, their own mortality at a time of life where most people feel immortal.
Oh, the feels that this book pulled out of me. I'm a little scared to see the movie (see how the pattern perpetuates?) but I'll probably wait for some night when I need to cry and pull it up for a weep-fest.

Why not five stars? Because, while the book was very, very good, I kept getting pulled out of the narration. Some of it was maybe the editor's fault more than the author's but that doesn't change my review. A few times it was because of word choice.
Reclusive - is an adjective. The noun is recluse. Or reclusiveness depending on what you're going for.
p. 51 Isaac was still throttling the wall with the pillow. -- Um, how would that work?
Other points it was the narrative arc that seemed a bit far-fetched, even for a reader who is soooo ready to suspend her disbelief.

One last note, it's funny to me that An Imperial Affliction ends in the middle of a sentence from the female narrator because, before Hazel even read the book, that's how I assumed that this book would end.

No comments:

Post a Comment